Doctors have been using dental implants to restore smiles for decades and yet, there are still many misconceptions about this permanent tooth restoration option. Check out our list of the top 5 dental implant myths and test your knowledge about dental implants in Rockville, MD.
Top 5 Myths about Implants
- Surgery will be uncomfortable. Myth buster: Your doctor will give you a local anesthetic, or even offer sedation dentistry, to make you more comfortable during your procedure. When your implants are inserted, they go into the bone, which does not hurt. Proper planning ensures that your doctor will not disturb your nerves or arteries.
- Healing time is too long after implants. Myth buster: While it is true that implants can take up to six months to integrate with the bone, the time varies from patient to patient. Implants also last a lifetime so most patients feel that they are worth the investment of time.
- People will be able to tell that you have implants. Myth buster: Implants are the gold standard in correcting tooth loss because they are so natural looking. They are the closest replication of your natural teeth and it is highly unlikely that anyone except your dentist will know that you have them.
- Dental implants are difficult to care for. Myth buster: Implants require the same brushing and flossing routine your natural teeth do. Daily oral care, coupled with regular professional exams and cleanings, will keep your smile healthy and strong.
- Placement of implants can be performed by any dental professional. Myth buster: You should interview your doctor during the consultation to ensure that he has the training, experience, and technology to provide you with the best possible care. Finding an accomplished specialist, especially one with whom you feel comfortable is critical to the success of your dental implants in Rockville, MD.
If you want to learn more about tooth loss and our restoration methods, call our office to schedule your consultation with Dr. Steven N. Rice. Dr. Rice is an implant dentistry specialist who will provide you with the highest quality care using the latest advancements in technology to ensure your comfort and health.Talk to US About an Appointment