If you have recently lost teeth to gum disease or decay, you know that it can be difficult to determine which restoration is the right one for you. Dentures are popular, due to their affordability but they have many disadvantages. For comfort, stability, and bone health, they cannot compare to dental implants. It is a good idea to make sure you know what to expect out of your implants before you schedule your surgery with your periodontist in Rockville, MD.
Getting Implants? What You Need to Know
Dental implants are a permanent solution to missing teeth. The implant post is inserted into the jaw bone for greater stability. Implant posts are topped with custom dental crowns, the same ones that you are already familiar with for larger fillings or root canals. There are many benefits:
- Natural looking—no one will know they are not your real teeth
- Permanent—you never remove them
- Stable and secure—eat what you want
- Preserve bone health—stops bone resorption that occurs after tooth loss
- Easy to care for and long lasting
Ask Your Doctor
- How long have you been placing implants and how many do you do in a week? You need an experienced, well-trained doctor. In fact, while dentists may place implants, periodontists are specialists in this area.
- How do I maintain my dental implants? Implants typically require the same care as your natural teeth, but your doctor should explain what you can expect if you damage a crown, how often you need to visit the office, and what you can do to make your implants last a lifetime.
- How much will they cost? Often, patients who have had advanced gum disease need bone grafts or sinus lifts. Ask your periodontist in Rockville, MD, to provide you with a complete treatment estimate, including preparatory procedures.
For high quality dental implants, contact our office today. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Steven N. Rice to discuss all of your questions and concerns. Dr. Rice offers the expertise to restore the beauty and health of your smile.Talk to US About an Appointment